IMN, its principals and senior counselors, have helped healthcare industry clients respond effectively to critical business and regulatory challenges for nearly 30 years.
From the medical malpractice crisis of the 1970s to the competitive pressures created by the 90s march toward managed care, we have utilized our knowledge of the healthcare industry in combination with our skills in public affairs, governmental relations, crisis management, marketing, public opinion research, community and media relations to develop effective strategies for success.
Our clients have included both for-profit and not-for-profit hospitals, physician organizations and practice management companies, pharmaceutical and biotech companies, health insurers and industry trade groups.
Our most recent work has included:
- Ongoing communications counsel, planning and media relations services for the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (LA BioMed) at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, the largest independent not-for-profit biomedical research institute in Los Angeles County.
- A major community mobilzation effort to save Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in the face of County Health Department budget deficits and proposed spending cuts that threatened to close this major County facility. Our work has included organization of the community-based Harbor-UCLA Community Alliance, media relations and liaison with key elected officials and stakeholders at the local, state and federal levels.
- Strategic counsel and communications support for Queen of Angels-Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center related to sale of the Medical Center to Tenet Healthcare and continued operation of the not-for-profit corporation as QueensCare. This was one of the first transactions in California to fall under a new state statute requiring public review and Attorney General approval of hospital conversions from not-for-profit to for-profit status.
- Communications counsel to one of Californias leading not-for-profit healthcare organizations regarding a planned transition to foundation status.
- Development of crisis communications plans related to regulatory reporting compliance issues.
- Completion of a communications audit and recommendations for UCI Medical Center in Orange County.
- Counsel on market research for a leading hospital chain in Texas.
In addition, IMN team members have:
- Provided public affairs counsel and communications support to American Medical International.
- Assisted Cedars Sinai in obtaining land use approvals for a new research facility and a major campus expansion plan.
- Helped to secure approval for 24-hour emergency services at Saint Johns Hospital in Santa Monica.
- Helped Northridge Hospital Medical Center obtain designation as a County Trauma Center.
- Assisted the California hospital industry in the defeat of three major statewide ballot initiatives detrimental to the industry.
- Developed a broad-based coalition to support provider contracting laws on behalf of the health insurance industry.
- Managed a grassroots campaign in support of landmark malpractice reform legislation in California.
- Organized grass roots opposition to proposed federal cuts in Medicare and Medicaid programs on behalf of the Federation of American Health Systems.
- Assisted pharmaceutical companies with formulary and product marketing issues.
- Managed communications for the launch of the biotechnology industrys California Health Care Institute.